Monday, October 05, 2009

Five Years

Lucas is evolving wonderfully as a musician. He's already tuning his ear to that magically awareness of proper sounds and vibrations. Just the other day we were setting up to practice, like we're supposed to do every day, and after tuning his violin with the digital tuner I asked him to warm up by playing his twinkle variations. He started as I began tuning my violin so that we could play together. I was listening along as he played and thought that it sounded good but halfway through he suddenly stopped and handed the instrument back to me saying, "It's out of tune."

I say, "Uh, no, I just tuned it and it sounds fine."

He tells me, "No, the E is out of tune."

So I grab the tuner to indulge him, since I have it handy and checked out his violin. Sure enough the E was playing as an F. Now I couldn't tell even though I thought that my ear was getting a lot better than when we started a year ago. When I listen to music now I can hear all the intricacies and variations of the composition. I seem to be hearing the broad range of sounds instead of one big wall. I love it because I've always been so interested in music but never indulged so deeply before. Now's our chance and I'm so grateful that we've begun to embark on this odyssey together.

Because of that love of music I've constantly forced the melody of sound to be present in my children's lives. They are stuck with the fact that throughout their youth they will listen to Wade radio, as I call it. It seems to be going all right so far. Jens Lekman is Lucas' favorite singer and as we travel around the city in our ships on wheels, he lets me know just what songs he likes as well as the ones that he doesn't like. As Xtimu knows I will allow some grumbling regarding the state of play coming out of our speakers but sometimes you are simply stuck listening to the endless stream of wonder that makes up today's artistes.

I have made a list of the music that Lucas told me that he likes. Compiled for a couple of years now and to commemorate his fifth birthday, here are Lucas' favorite songs.

1. Stan Getz - Ebony Samba (first version)
2. Jens Lekman - Shirin
3. Santogold - Anne
4. Ladyhwake - Crazy World
5. Wolf Parade - Fine Young Cannibals
6. Bruce Peninsula - Steamroller
7. Emiliana Torrini - Big Jumps
8. Micah P. Hinson - The Leading Guy
9. Gift Culture - Chrysalis
10. 13Ghosts - Photographs
11. Rilo Kiley - A Man/Me/Then Jim
12. Brokeback - The Wilson Ave. Bridge at the Chic

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home