Wednesday, January 23, 2008

M&M #8

Jens Lekman – Night Falls Over Kortedala (2007)

I think that I'm falling for Jens Lekman. I don't know what it is about his music but he has a quirky humor and fantastical aura that really gets me. If I wasn't already married to the love of my life then I don't know what I might do. I wouldn't want to become one of those crazy celebrity stalkers or anything like that (I don't think that I could sustain that much energy for a fantasy anyway). I don't think that I'm gay in any way (I don't find myself staring at men's asses, actually quite the opposite). Maybe it's because he's from Sweden. That country seems like it's so far ahead of the curve that when I listen to his music I'm tapping into some future self that is much more world conscious and environmentally friendly and humorous and creative as hell. Sounds like I might evolve a little as a human being somewhere down the line. Right now, I'll just listen and enjoy my infatuation.


A Scanner Darkly – Richard Linklater (2006)

I don't know what it is about Richard Linklater, either. Sometimes he makes these really interesting indie films that are so creative, and other times he makes total hollywood schlock. But he really hit it out of the park with this one. With Scanner he does that photoshop animation edit technique that he used before with 'Waking Life'. This is the perfect movie for it. Based on a novel by the incredible Philip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly follows an undercover narcotics detective sometime in the near future as his mind slowly separates in two from taking Substance D, a powerful new drug that's highly addictive. With the help of a scramble suit, all of the undercover agents are anonymous, giving them greater reign over their activities. Before he knows it our hero is asked to start watching himself and due to his increasingly schizophrenic behavior everything begins to unravel toward an unexpected revelation. One of PKD's best and most complete novel, the combination of creative forces involved weave magic upon the screen.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home