Saturday, January 19, 2008

M&M #11

Stars – In Our Bedroom After The War (2007)

Probably the most anticipated album of the year once I heard they were releasing it. One of the first major-label bands to release their album digitally only hours after they finished in the studio, Stars have become my favourite band over the past four years or so. I guess, like Grandaddy before them, they would be the band that has become the soundtrack to my life recently. With a pure popilicious melody and sweet dual vocals by Torquil Campbell and Amy Millan, often singing at each other like two star-crossed lovers, Stars are the pleasant dream that fills my nights. Unfortunately, after the exposure of the last two albums, this one was a bit of a let-down. It's still great and better than most of the music that invaded my world this last year, but there's something to say for not being overly anxious. It almost never lives up to the anticipation. Perhaps Stars are falling from my orbit and on the horizon is the next phase of my life including the soundtrack for a new era, but for now I'll try to relax and let the soft melody bless my ears.


Winged Migration – Jacques Perrin, Jacques Cluzaud, Michel Debats (2001)

Lucas' favourite movie makes the list! We've watched this one about ten times this year and because it is such a wonderful visual display, we aren't getting tired of it. A simple movie about the migration of birds across the vast continents from southern hemisphere to northern. Very little narration, almost to the point that you don't even hear it and an occasional fact about some the migratory patterns of a certain species. Otherwise it's just music and birds flying, dipping and diving, and giving birth and dying. It's an absolutely beautiful movie and all around us the world is filled with wonder.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home