Sunday, January 11, 2015

Memories #10

Warpaint - Warpaint

Speaking of legendary shows! Ever since I heard about Warpaint a few years ago, I heard about their epic shows. I really wanted to see them live and it eventually happened this past November, when they played the North Park Theatre. For most of the night, the room was a ensconced in groovy goodness. The four women in the band glowing as they played with their hearts wide open. I've never seen anyone performing with such joy, especially for a band whose nature isn't the type that jumps out of the speakers with enthusiasm. Their music is a slow but earnest sense of happiness, that sways through the hips and makes you swoon. They take their time as they provide a lusciousness that is embodied in every note. As the evening was winding down, Xtina and I went to the back to find a spot against the wall where we could rest our backs. When I looked down at my feet, I spotted a twenty dollar bill lying on the ground. Suddenly, all the drinks we had consumed were paid for and the night seemed too good to be true. Unfortunately, that turned out to be more than just a cliche. As the band began their encore, a strange smell filled the theatre and people started to leave in droves. I couldn't understand what was happening but it smelled like someone's colostomy bag had ruptured or some asshole dropped a stink bomb in the room. Perhaps, the perpetrator wanted Warpaint to watch their fans leave as they played their encore, the opposite of what they normally see. Maybe a jilted ex was to blame. Who knows? But the evening ended rather abruptly, as we could hardly stand the aroma, as well. Regardless, this concert will definitely go down as one of the most memorable in my life, a memory that will be both good and bad.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home