Sunday, February 14, 2010

Reflection Pond #9

Portugal. The Man - The Satanic Satanists (2009)

I don't think it gets any better than this for Portugal The Man. Perhaps, but in the meantime you can take some time with this album that just feels perfect. There's a maturity found within these songs but they still jump at you with PtM's typical intensity. I didn't know what to expect from these guys. They were a wonderful jolt for me a couple of years ago that blasted me from my reverie and I adored them for it. Then they released an album last year that I just couldn't quite grasp. I don't know if I was coming down from my high, or what? But now they hit us with The Satanic Satanist (my father-in-law's favorite album title BTW) and I went through various waves of appreciation. Liked the tempo at first, hanging hard on Lovers In Love and wallowing in some of the softer stuff like Mornings. Then I kind of blew it off and didn't listen for awhile. Lately I began to absorb it again and the charm and momentum of these tunes continued to build until I absolutely began to love what was hitting my ears. These guys must work a lot to have three albums in four years (and if you don't believe me, follow them on Twitter) and it's been a nice ride, but can they top this beautiful blend of music? I guess we'll see in 2010.


Let The Right One In - Tomas Alfredson (2008)

Swedish vampire movie filmed in gorgeous cool light with all of the action/gore oriented aspects subtly removed from the frame. That description may not be typically attractive but all you really need to know about it is that it really works. Horror movies have reached their limit. It's very easy to watch something nowadays and realize that you've seen that sequence in a film about a million times already. It's really brought hollywood schlock back down to earth and I find that I'm quite often bored when I see what the corporate movie-going experience has to offer. I even think the guy who made Cloverfield is going to do a remake of this one. I shudder at the prospect. Why does hollywood need to go on this regurgitation diet? Instead of wasting all that money on a remake, here's what I would do. Take a quarter of that money and invest it in marketing for quality foreign films like Let The Right One In, as well as promoting other good film-makers from said country until we have equal access across the board. Then the movie-going public will embrace quality movies and the art of film-making will move up one notch on the scale. The rest of three-quarters of original money that was going to be wasted on this ridiculous remake can be invested in typical Amerikan shite that those corporate studios churn out regularly for the brain dead masses or the straight to video fair that is the meat and potatoes of their business anyway. Everything will be the exact same except the quality foreign vampire movies will be easier to see. Yay!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home