Thursday, January 18, 2007

21: Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat


Jenny Lewis simply has that voice. The one that I gravitate toward. I knew about her before I even knew about her band Rilo Kiley, before I realized that she was in The Postal Service. When I heard her voice on those occasions I immediately could tell that I already heard her before. And it turned out to be true. For a long time we had a song that Xtina downloaded called Science v.s. Romance and that's all that we knew about it. We both listened with interest because it was such a cool song. Then we fast forward a couple of years and happen to see The Postal Service live at the Casbah and Jenny Lewis was playing bass and singing. Then another year goes by and I hear this sweet song on KCRW called It's A Hit by a band called Rilo Kiley and bought the album and became big fans. The entire time totally enamored by these three women who have such a distinct voice. The kind of voice you gravitate toward.

Then one day it all clicks and I realize that this happens to be the same woman. Rilo Kiley, The Postal Service, even that old song from the internet without a band. Well we now know the band and we know the woman.

The funny thing was that when I first listened to this album I wasn't that enamored with it. Yeah, she still has the voice but it all seemed a bit dull. Well, after ten months of listening and listening I can now hear why I need to put this album on my list for this past year. She still has that magic.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home